Legion week is a time when legion branches throughout the BC/Yukon open their doors to the public, create community, family events and promote remembrance.
Here are some examples of branch events:
- Family Fun Day bbq's for the community (without bar service).
- A Freedom of the City parade and ceremony.
- Branch's hold ceremonies honoring youth in the programs they support
- Local teachers or principals nominate an exceptional student for a category a branch chooses, then they are invited to receive a certificate of appreciation
- School ceremonies are held to announce youth bursaries and scholarships.
- Tribute Tree Plantings are held with the Mayor in honor of local veterans.
- Branches contribute to refurbishing of neglected playgrounds or ballparks.
- Gardens of Remembrance are planted on city property.
- Candlelight tribute, passing the symbolic Torch of Remembrance to the next generation.
- Membership drives with young groups you sponsor.
- Local cable stations visit branches to interview their President.
- Local newspapers to write articles about Legion Week showcasing your community charitable work and volunteer work.
- Leading up to Canada Day, branches make a public media presentation at a school with hand outs
- Parties are thrown for Canada Day and local youth groups help to organize it.
Contact Participating Branches
Dates: June 22 - 29
Community Bar-B-Q, Jam Session, Annual 100 Guitars Performance
Phone: (250) 838-7283